what is a devops engineer?
DevOps stands for development operations and refers to the processes involved in developing software. As a DevOps engineer, you introduce processes, methodologies and tools to speed up the software development life cycle. You also reduce complexity and close the gaps that hinder software improvement. Development and information technology (IT) operations teams usually have different goals and skills.
Most developers are keen on introducing new features to software applications. At the same time, the operations teams focus on preserving the stability of an application. As a DevOps engineer, you unify and automate these processes. You focus on combining code, application maintenance and software management. You also oversee the launching of new software applications by testing their operational efficiency. That's why your role requires advanced problem-solving skills for resolving software application development and operations issues. You also need technical software development life cycle knowledge to guide the development teams.
DevOps engineers work primarily in technology-driven companies and IT organisations. Since most industries rely on automated processes controlled by software applications, DevOps engineers also work in diverse business sectors.
Would working as a DevOps engineer suit your astute problem-solving abilities and technical expertise? Then read on to find out what competencies and qualifications you need to thrive in a DevOps engineer role.devops engineer jobs
average devops engineer salary
Even though DevOps engineers are in high demand, several factors affect how much you make. For instance, senior DevOps engineers take home higher salaries than junior DevOps engineers due to their experience and skills. When you gain experience, it is easier to negotiate higher pay based on your expertise.
According to the Economic Research Institute, the median salary of a DevOps engineer in Greece is €43,000 per year. In a junior position, you start with earnings of €29,000 annually; in a senior position, you receive over €52,000 yearly.
what factors affect the salary of a devops engineer ?
Experience is the most important factor in determining the earnings of a DevOps engineer. That’s why junior DevOps engineers have lesser pay compared to senior roles. Your experience shows your expertise and ability to solve problems related to the project. Different companies have unique requirements when looking for DevOps engineers. The complexity of the projects in the company influences the salary they offer.
There is a salary difference for DevOps engineers in Greek cities. You can relocate to cities with innovation hubs since they will likely pay higher salaries. Having specialised skills also increases your salary since you are an expert in specific projects.
types of devops engineers
Some types of DevOps engineers include:
working as a devops engineer
As a DevOps engineer, you work with product developers to oversee code releases and software development. If you are intrigued by the role, check out the specific tasks and work environments of DevOps engineers.
devops engineer skills and education
Follow these steps if you want to be a DevOps engineer in Greece:
- Education: to become a DevOps engineer, complete a BSc in computer science or computer programming, which takes four years of full-time studies. Even though a master's degree is not mandatory, consider taking a course to specialise in the field.
- Certifications: you need certifications to demonstrate your expertise and improve your skills. Some DevOps certifications include Microsoft Certified Azure DevOps Engineer Expert, AWS Certified DevOps Engineer and Google’s Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer.
competencies and characteristics of devops engineers
Some of the skills of a DevOps engineer include:
- Project management skills: as a DevOps engineer, you require exceptional project management skills. These skills help you initiate, plan and execute DevOps projects. You rely on your project management skills to keep the company's software up-to-date, secure and bug-free.
- Coding skills: you require exceptional coding skills to participate in software development functions. These skills also help you review and improve code scripts to ensure applications perform the desired functions.
- Communication skills: you manage development and IT operations teams, so you rely on communication skills to provide instructions to your teams. Communication skills are also essential when speaking with clients or listening to team feedback.
- Coaching skills: an effective DevOps engineer always looks for opportunities to mentor and improve team skills. You identify gaps in employee skills and provide training and coaching services to improve their skills.
- Adaptability: as a DevOps engineer, you should expect frequent changes to the project's structure. Your adaptability helps you adjust your workflow and provide high-quality software. Sometimes, you also adapt to changes in technology for a project.
- Time management: working as a DevOps engineer requires completing projects in a specific time frame. You use your time management skills to finish projects in the recommended time frames and improve team productivity.
Here, you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the profession of a DevOps engineer.